Contempt Motion vs Motion to Enforce

Posted by Gordon Shayne | Apr 02, 2019 | 0 Comments

I want to talk to you a little bit about your remedies when the other parent most likely in a custody case, child custody case is not complying with the parenting orders from the court. You really have a couple different remedies that you can pursue in court, and that would be in the filing of a verified motion for contempt, or a motion to enforce parenting orders.

A contempt proceeding is governed by a different set of laws than a motion to enforce parenting orders. In a contempt action, the party who's filed the contempt is held to a higher standard of a proof beyond a reasonable doubt. In a contempt action, the court can issue a punishment to the offending parent or the parent who's in violation by saying, “I'm gonna order you to, uh, remedy the situation. I'm gonna order you, uh, to fix the problem”, or the court can even send that parent to jail which is called punitive contempt.

There is also another avenue and that is a motion to enforce parenting orders. In that, the court has many more remedies and can issue a relief to the party that's been the subject of a violation of a custody order. The example that comes to mind is when a parent has orders from the court to pick up the children for Christmas holiday, the orders may say that that parent can pick up the children at noon on Christmas Day, and that parent comes to the door and finds that the other parent and the children are not home.

There'll be no Christmas for that parent that year because the other parent has either intentionally, or willfully or neglectfully taken off with the children depriving the other parent and the children have parenting time with the other parent. In that situation, if a motion is filed and that parent has indeed violated a parenting order, one of the remedies is for the court to issue attorney's fees for the parent that's violated the court order. This is another reason why it's always important to consult with an attorney that is aware of the options and what the law says so that you can enforce your parenting rights at all times.

About the Author

Gordon Shayne

Gordon N. Shayne Family Law/Divorce Lawyer Phone: (904) 544-6855 Gordon N. Shayne's field of practice is devoted to Family Law/Divorce case throughout the State of Colorado.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


With over 35 years of experience, Mr. Shayne has had a legal career fighting for the rights of his clients while focusing his practice exclusively on Divorce, Child Custody and other Family Law Matters. Our services are available throughout the State of Florida.

Free Consultations

For those individuals interested in retaining legal counsel and who have the financial means to hire an attorney, we offer a free 30-minute consultation, either in our office, by phone or through a video chat