Filing an Emergency Motion

I want to talk to you a little bit about emergency motions and what happens when a parent files an emergency motion. Primarily, these emergency motions are about custody and visitation. So I want to give you a couple examples as to what the law says. The most common type of emergency motion is one […]

Family Law Cases Involving Children

In Colorado, there are essentially two different kinds of cases that involve children. These cases are called allocation or parental responsibilities, which are actions between parents or third-parties that involve children. There are also cases filed as divorce cases where the parties have children. As a lawyer, I spend much of my time arguing for […]

Duties of Parents to Co-Parent

Colorado is governed by the best interest standard. The best interest standard when you’re talking about children, parenting time, and decision making is what the court is going to consider in entering its orders in the absence of an agreement. Now parents are free to come up with parenting plans in custody and divorce cases, […]

Best Interests of the Child

I want to talk to you a little bit today about Colorado’s law that pertains to parenting, and to the best interest of the children, and questions that are asked about whether or not the law favors mothers over fathers or fathers over mothers. The best interest statute in Colorado was really crafted to not […]